Don’t you just love it when seriously delicious and fairly rare fruits appear on the shelves of your stores?
I couldn’t say no to these beautiful figs – even if they do come all the way from South Africa. I’m not usually a big fan of buying foods with lots of air-miles… but they are from my homeland and it would therefore only be rude not to buy them!
I was never a big fan of figs when I was younger. They often found their way into the kitchen in dried form – and therefore fresh figs where always a little bit of a mystery!
There was also the story of my dad’s childhood experience. Having just picked figs off the tree in his back garden – He took a healthy bite into one fresh off the tree only to look down and discover that the inside was crawling with ants… some may argue he was getting a healthy dose of protein with those carbs, but that’s enough to put someone off figs for life!
I always cut open and check my figs before eating!
Who could possibly resist the bold pink tones of the flesh of these sweet juicy nuggets of fruity pleasure?
To me, the best way to prepare a fig (if you’re not gonna eat it fresh) is oven roasting it…
…with a drizzle of honey.
This recipe could not be more simple, or more delicious.
Honey Roasted Figs
Makes: as many as you wish (although I would suggest 1.5-2 figs per person) Takes: 20 mins
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F
- Line a baking sheet with foil or baking parchment
- Slice the figs in half and lay (cut side up) out onto the baking sheet
- Place a walnut half on top of each fig
- Drizzle with Honey – don’t over do it. You want the honey to bring out the sweetness of the figs, not over-power it!
- Place the sheet in the centre of the oven and let them roast for about 15 mins – be sure to check them around 10 mins as all ovens tend to be different. They may need up to 20-25mins.
- Once done, transfer onto a serving dish (or plate up each individual serving – oooo how posh!) and devour whilst warm!
Feel free to add a dollop of whipped cream/coconut cream, mascapone or vanilla ice cream next to these bad boys for a truly decadent dessert.
Yay you’re back!
do my eyes deceive me… is she back.. SHE’S BACK!!!!! more food porn! yay